Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Broken Bumpers

 Having removed much of the stuff inside and on the front of the car, it was time to move to the back.  The goal is to pull the body off the frame sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I am trying to pull off anything that will hinder the body removal.  At the same time, I don't want to pull off things that really don't need to come off right now.  Eventually, everything will come off for the bodywork and paint, but for now, pulling something off just means that I have to label and find a place to store it.

The bumpers needed to come off not just because they are attached to the frame through the body, but also because they are a) trashed, and b) in the way when it comes to pulling other stuff out, especially in the back.  In fact the front bumper was already off the car when I bought it, so I just had to pull the rear.  This is where rust makes the job a challenge.  A couple of the bolts inside the bumper were so badly rusted and mangled that it didn't make sense to even wrestle with it now and I just pulled the whole thing off.  More than likely I will trash these bumpers and fit a set of older (ie 60's) style tubular bumpers.  It'll require some custom fabrication, but it won't be that hard.  I think there are even conversion kits you can buy.


Speaking of buying, I finally got my J-Buggs catalog in the mail, so between beers and banging my knuckles, I can at least figure out how much that part I just crushed/broke/otherwise destroyed getting out is going to cost me some day.

Next the wiring must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment