Friday, May 13, 2011

The Deepest Point


I am nearly there.  With the removal of the diagonal trailing arms, I have reached what I consider to be the 'deepest' point of the Ghia project.  Here is have gotten to the bushings that must be replaced before I can begin to put it back together.

It wasn't all that hard a task, in spite of the fact that I had to buy yet another special tool--a 17mm allen head wrench--and the fact that these parts would be difficult to reach but for the fact that everything else is off the frame.

At first, though, I wasn't sure if it would even come off.  It looked like there was a dimple in the bracket holding the pivot bolt, so I held off thinking there must be some way to remove or avoid that dimple, but in the end, I just went ahead and twisted out the bolt.  If there was any resistance from the dimple, I didn't feel it.  When I put it back, it'll be interesting to see if it has any bearing on the way it goes together and/or works.

I took the other trailing arm off yesterday, so for now, though, I have reached the limit of what I can do to the car.  I still have to remove the transmission, but that hardly counts, as there are just three bolts holding that in and they are easy to get to.

My next step will be to have the ball joints pressed out and new ones pressed into the front suspension.  At the same time, I'll take in the rear trailing arms to have the bushings removed and replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment