Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Power Wash

Last Sunday was a real milestone in this project.  It was a beautiful unseasonably warm day, just perfect for getting out and cleaning my freshly stripped down chassis with a power-washer.  First, I removed the wheels and put the frame up on jackstands.  Next, I pulled off the brake calipers on the front and the shock absorbers from both front and back.

Then, after covering the engine with a plastic bag, it was time to get down and dirty.

And hoo boy, was it dirty!  Fortunately, it was relatively easy to clean.  Although there was a lot of dirt built up in places where bits of grease had served as magnets for crud, these bits blew off easily.  In places where I thought that rust had invaded the frame I discovered to my surprise that the rust was only superficial, and in many places with was just a sort of patina that just washed off.

The engine and transmission seem to be in pretty good shape.  After blowing all the built up dirt off the tranny it looked better than I had hoped.  The engine, which I know to be pretty good from my cursory inspection of the heads, looked even better when washed, so I have every reason to be hopeful there.  I will pull it off to inspect the clutch but I don't plan to replace or even work on the engine much.

For now, I've finally reach a point that looks like the bottom.  Look at that shiny toy!

From here, the refurbishment begins.




No comments:

Post a Comment